Ujjian spitting case: Muslim teen gets bail after complainant denies charge, says under pressure from police


A Mumbai teen, who was arrested as a minor around five months before, was granted bail on Monday in the case of allegedly spitting on the Mahakal Sawarti procession held in Ujjain last year.

The Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court accepted the bail application of Adnan Mansoori (18) after the primary complainant in the case said he had not seen any ‘spitting’ in front of him at the time of the procession, and had signed his portion in the FIR “under pressure from the police”.

The order also noted that complainant Sawant Lot was examined before a trial court, but he had “turned hostile and did not support the case of prosecution”.

“Eyewitness Ajay Khatri also turned hostile and did not support the case of the prosecution,” Justice Anil Verma said.

“It is directed that the applicant be released on bail upon his furnishing a personal bond in the sum of Rs 75,000 with one solvent surety in the like amount to the satisfaction of the trial court for his appearance before the trial court, as and when required. He shall abide by the conditions enumerated under section 437(3) CrPC,” the court noted, without commenting on the merits of the case.

THE ‘SPITTING’ CASE

According to a police official, Sawan Lot (primary complainant) had filed a complaint at Kharakuan police station in Ujjain against Adnan Mansoori and two minor boys, claiming they had gargled and spat on the Mahakal Sawari procession while standing on the terrace of a building on the evening of July 17, 2023.

Mansoori – the only adult in the case – was arrested by police on the same day.

A case under Sections 295-A (deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs), 153-A (spreading enmity between two groups on grounds of religion), and other relevant provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) was lodged in the matter.

Mansoori was remanded to judicial custody, while the two minor boys were sent to a juvenile home, news agency PTI reported, citing a police official.

Two days after the incident, on July 19, 2023, “illegal” parts of the houses of the families were razed, a police official said.

PROSECUTION VS DEFENDANT

During Tuesday’s hearing, the prosecution objected to Mansoori’s bail plea and said he had been identified in the CCTV footage of the alleged incident, adding there were serious allegations against him about harming communal harmony.

To this, defence lawyer Devendra Singh Sengar said the High Court has already given approval to the bail pleas of two minor boys in the case.

FAMILY’S REACTIONS

Speaking to India Today TV, Adnan Mansoori’s father, Ashraf Hussain Mansoori, said that he is happy that his children have returned home “safe and sound”. “I have nothing to do with this case,” he added.

(Inputs from Sundeep Kulshrestra)

Published On:

Jan 16, 2024



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *