Gathering size limits will drop to a maximum of five people in the Winnipeg area starting Monday, the province says — the lowest the province has gone so far in its effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
The new restrictions will be in effect for at least two weeks and gathering limits will apply indoors and outdoors, said Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief public health officer, as he announced a suite of tougher new rules for the Winnipeg metropolitan area.
Stand-alone nightclubs, bars and beverage rooms will be closed, as will casinos, VLT lounges and bingo halls.
Restaurants, retail locations, museums and libraries will also be limited to 50 per cent capacity, Roussin said. At restaurants, group sizes at tables will also be limited to five and physical distancing must be in place.
The changes come amid climbing daily case numbers in Manitoba, especially in Winnipeg. On Friday, the overall test positivity rate in the province was 5.2 per cent, and 6.8 per cent in the Winnipeg area.
“We need to make this change, this sacrifice, for two weeks,” Roussin said Friday.
More indoor businesses will also be required to keep logs of people who visit in order to help with contact tracing, Roussin said, including theatres, museums, galleries, libraries and fitness facilities.
The number of spectators at after-school activities and all sporting events will be reduced to 25 per cent of a site’s capacity.
Roussin said the rationale for closing businesses like bars while leaving restaurants, for example, open was based on how COVID-19 has been spread so far.
“A lot of that is based on where we’ve been seeing contact and cases and transmission events, and so we really wanted to focus on those areas,” he said.
Stepping up enforcement
All new rules will be enforceable under the law and the province will work to step up enforcement, Roussin said.
The new rules may be extended beyond the initial two-week period if community transmission in Winnipeg doesn’t drop.
“We know that we can turn the tide quickly. We’ve seen that before,” Roussin said. He pointed to the success of lockdowns in the Prairie Mountain Health region over the summer.
No changes were announced to Winnipeg-area schools on Friday. Roussin said Public Health hasn’t seen much transmission within schools or child-care centres.
“We’re continuing to look at that. Remember that the cases we see in schools are acquired in the community. We’re not seeing a lot of cases acquired in schools — actually very little,” he said.
“The schools and daycares have shown … to be quite safe. We see a lot of cases, but not a lot of cases that were acquired there.”
The new restrictions come more than two weeks after the Winnipeg metropolitan area was moved to the orange, or restricted, level on the province’s pandemic response system, and more than a week after additional rules were brought in for licensed restaurants and bars in the region.
All licensed personal care homes in the Winnipeg area were moved up to the red, or critical, level on Thursday, which brought new rules for care home admissions.
Manitoba has reported its worst daily COVID-19 numbers of the pandemic this week, including three consecutive days of record-breaking daily case counts. On Thursday, the province announced its highest daily tally yet: 173 new cases, including 133 in Winnipeg.
The streak of record-highs ended Friday, when the province announced 75 new cases, including 63 in Winnipeg.
The new restrictions apply to the Winnipeg metropolitan area, which includes the following communities around the city:
- Rural municipality of Cartier.
- Village of Dunnottar.
- RM of East St. Paul.
- RM of Headingley.
- RM of Macdonald.
- Town of Niverville.
- RM of Ritchot.
- RM of Rockwood.
- RM of Rosser.
- City of Selkirk.
- RM of Springfield.
- RM of St. Andrews.
- RM of St. Clements.
- RM of St. François Xavier.
- Town of Stonewall.
- RM of Taché.
- RM of West St. Paul.